The first record of Scouting in our area dates back to 1916 with a Scout Troop forming under the leadership of the Reverend George Scott, although it was not officially registered until 1923. A Troop in Daviot was formed in 1942 with Mr Murray Smythe as Leader.
The Oldmeldrum Troop appears to have been successful with continuous operation until 1925, after which records of Leaders are sporadic up to 1933 when John Mudie took over the Troop and led it continuously until 1953. The next local landmark occurred with the formation of a Cub Pack in Oldmeldrum in 1923 (Mr A Taylor), with Daviot Cubs (Isobel Mackie) forming in 1951. Our first Beavers appeared within the amalgamated Group in 1994 under the leadership of Lynne Everitt and Fiona Colgrave. The latest section to appear is the Explorers, formed in 1998 under David Eastwood, although it ran ‘unofficially’ prior to that under the guidance of Keith Millar. Between 1916 and today in our area there have only been nine years where some sort of organised Scouting has not taken place.
A curious feature of our leadership records is the break in all Scouting operations in both Daviot and Oldmeldrum between 1954 and 1956. No leaders are recorded for this time and it is not known whether this true or if we just do not have the information.
Somewhat dwindling numbers in both Scout Troops during the mid 1960’s prompted the suggestion by Jack Sleigh that the two should merge and this major step was formally undertaken. Maitland Mackie was proposed as Scout Leader of the newly formed 1st Daviot Oldmeldrum Scouts and the first meeting was held in 1967.